2 tbsp organic coconut oil
1 cup diced white onion
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tbsp cacao shell flour pancake & waffle mix (can substitute with unsweetened organic & natural cacao powder)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 ½ cups vegetable stock
2 tbsp organic smooth almond butter
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cacao fruit sugar (you can substitute with coconut sugar or organic brown sugar)
Cacao Nib Chips:
1 pack of 6-inch corn tortillas
coconut oil spray
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup cacao nibs
1. Mole Sauce: Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until soft and translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 1-2 more minutes.
2. Add chili powder, flour, cacao shell pastry flour mix, cinnamon, cumin and oregano and stir until everything is evenly mixed. Sauté for 1 more minute.
3. Remove from the heat and add the vegetable stock, stir until combined.
4. Use an immersion blender to puree the mixture until smooth. Return to the heat, add almond butter, tomato paste, sea salt, sugar crystals and whisk until combined.
5. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer and the sauce has thickened.
6. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
7. You can serve warm or cool to room temperature.
8. Cacao nib chips: Preheat oven to 375F.
9. Take the corn tortillas and cut into 8 wedges.
10. Arrange the wedges in a single layer on two baking sheets.
11. Spray with coconut oil, sprinkle some sea salt and cacao nibs on top of each slice.
12. Place in the oven for about 8-10 minutes until the wedges are crisp and lightly brown.
13. Cool completely and enjoy with the Mole sauce!